Several from our community have taken late summer and early fall vacations.

Joyce and Ken Wilson went to New England. Their sightseeing focused mostly on Maine and New Hampshire. The leaves changing colors were spectacular. The food at Bar Harbor, clam chowder, lobster and all seafood, was delicious, and the lighthouses and the flowers were beautiful.

They went to Cadillac Mountain in Maine and Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. Joyce was driving to Mt. Washington. She said it was a very treacherous drive, 2 lanes, not upgraded, strong winds and 16 feet of snow at the summit tree line. Sounds like it would be a challenge to one’s driving skills. Ken and Joyce were gone three weeks and only had a couple days with rain.

Greta and Taylor Prince and Paula Collie Adams went to Key West, Fla. They flew to Ft. Lauderdale, rented a car and drove to the Keys, enjoying the scenic route through Miami.

They had their pictures made at Key West’s southernmost point.

They went to Ernest Hemingway’s home. His home has 50-plus cats on the property, and the cats have six toes. The toes make their paws look like mittens.

They toured the Dewall Street waterfront for good food. They took a three-hour boat ride to Dry Tortugas and Ft. Jefferson. They were in the Keys for three nights. Returning to Miami, they took a day for touring.

Pat and Howard Arledge, Kristy St. Louis and Sidney and Nicklaus Hester vacationed in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. They flew to Denver, Colorado. Barry, Stacey, Matthew and Jacob Swords of Kansas City flew to Denver to join them. While in Denver they went to Pike’s Peak and to a public park called “The Garden of the Gods.”

They rented cars and drove to Steamboat Springs. Their home for the week would be a huge house on a large ranch. They had access to all the amenities, breathless view, wild animals, four wheelers, horses etc.

Pat and Howard did a lot of driving, enjoying the countryside. Debbie Swinn Daily, a first cousin of Pat, joined them for a few days. Debbie has a large ranch in Wyoming. Debbie has asked them to vacation at her ranch next year.

Chad and Jamie Bryant went to Maine on fall break. They flew from Huntsville to Portland. Renting a car, they traveled to Kennebunkport, enjoying the fall foliage along the way. Traveling Highway 1 along the coast, taking side trips to many inlets, gave them opportunities to see quaint fishing villages, the lighthouse at Bailey’s Island and many buoys marking lobster traps at Buck Island. The next 2 days they stayed in Bar Harbor at The Inn at Ullikana, built in 1885. In the area were picturesque villages, many buildings dating back to the 1800’s.

They went to Acadia National Park and Cadillac Mountain, where they were among the first to see the sunrise in U.S. on Monday, Oct. 19. Cadillac Mountain is the first place to see the sunrise in the U.S. from the second week in October through the first week in March. Leaving the Bar Harbor area, they returned to Portland and went to the lighthouse at Cape Elizabeth. After a great time in Maine, they returned home.

Randy and Ginger Mauldin, Eric, Emily and Caroline Mauldin, and Emily, Jeff and Brynlee Sims vacationed at Orange Beach.

Gregg, Tracey, Cade and Addie Grace Smith went on a Disney cruise during fall break. They drove to Miami, stopping at Boca Raton to visit cousin Sandy Friedman and family. The cruise was to the Cayman Islands, and they had time off the ship in Key West, where they went to Ernest Hemingway’s home.

Edgar and Patsy Bryant Ballew and Gaylon and Carolyn Chaffin went to Ellijay, Ga., to the Apple Festival. They bought sorghum syrup from a mill in Young Harris, Ga.

Cade Smith, son of Tracey and Gregg, went to the National FFA Convention at Louisville, Ky. He went to the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory (where they make the Slugger baseball bats) and toured the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green and the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tenn.

Edgar and Patsy Bryant Ballew and Shelba Harbin and J.W. Walker attended the play “Smoke On The Mountain” in Crossville, Tenn.

Rod and Charlotte Bryant went to Edwards, Miss. to help Jarrod with his move to Pine Grove, La. Jarrod has transferred to the Cal-Maine operation at Pine Grove.

Lynile Cunningham is home after being in the Huntsville Hospital for a few days.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.