A house caught on fire on Liberty Road. The homeowner’s family said that the fire department thinks it could have been related to the electrical wiring. The house once belonged to the family’s grandmother, but when she passed away three years ago, it went to their uncle.

The owner of the home, Donald Newman,  was not at home at the time of the fire. He was at work when it happened. The house was very special to the family. They said that the house was where many generations of children had grown up in the home.

The fire department believes that the fire started in one of the front rooms and was contained quickly. Chief Ricky Phillips of the Arab Fire Department said that he does not believe the house will be a complete loss. He knows the front two rooms have some major damage, but the rest of the house may be salvageable.

Phillips said that a passerby called in that he saw smoke coming from the home and the fire department was on the scene within minutes. The fire was under control within about ten minutes, but there was a lot of smoke and water damage to the front rooms.

“The fire appears to have started around the electrical panel in the front bedroom,” Phillips said. “I spoke with the homeowner at the fire and he reported having some electrical problems over the past few days, so it appears to be an accidental fire.”

Phillips said that Arab Fire Department, 4C Volunteer Fire Department and Georgia Mountain Volunteer Fire Department all worked to put out the fire that was located on the Brashiers Chapel Community.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.