Into the Woods
By Savanha Estes
The GMS students attended the GHS play “Into the Woods” this week. Several GMS students were also part of this groundbreaking play.
The play was based on parts of some of our classic fairy tales that coincide with each other. “As the result of the curse of a once-beautiful witch, a baker and his wife are childless. Three days before the rise of a blue moon, they venture into the forest to find the ingredients that will reverse the spell and restore the witch's beauty: a milk-white cow, hair as yellow as corn, a blood-red cape, and a slipper of gold. During their journey, they meet Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel and Jack, each one on a quest to fulfill a wish," is how the play is described.
Most of the cast consists of students from GHS but one of the stars was our very own Mallory Jones! She plays a pivotal role as Little Red Riding Hood. Mallory said, “It has been a lot of fun playing one of the most exciting characters in fairy tale history. It was also great starring with my sister.”
Other members of the cast from GMS included Emmy Carr, Jamerah Morgan, Ellie Mullinax, Emma Black, Bella Black, Allee Belle Kutner, Kalon Upton, Ansley Keller, Ginna Bess Carr, Jaxon Scheidegger, Finley Brown, Erica Lang, Lauren Barrentine, Grace Williams, Audrey Beasley, Caroline Kirk, Jailyn Mabe, and Sarah Nan Skidmore.
Caroline Kirk said, “I loved the songs and dances the most. Part of it was also very comedic.”
Congratulations to all the people who participated in the play. It was an outstanding performance by all.
8th Grade Field Trip
By Ava Krause
The 8th graders will take a field trip to the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama. This trip will occur on March 13. Letters went home with each 8th grader at the beginning of February.
The cost of the trip for each student is $9 without a T-shirt or $17 with a T-shirt . This price includes the following:
- Transportation to and from the U.S. Space and Rocket Center.
- Total U.S. Space & Rocket Center Guided Tour.
- Museum Simulators.
- iMax Movie.
- Lunch in the Space Camp Crew Gallery.
- Live Space Presentation.
- Hands-On Lab with Instructor (Crater Creations)
- 8th Grade Field Trip T-Shirt (optional)
Rylee Niesler is among those looking forward to the trip. “I will get to spend time with my friends and learn a little bit more about our role in the history of space exploration,” she said.
Logo Design Contest
By Abigail Hatfield
The Apple Foundation needs your talent!
We are looking for a fun, creative design to be used on our race T-shirts and promotional material for the 7th Annual Race to Education. The winner of this contest will receive a free T-shirt, race entry and a $50 check.
All entries should be turned in by March 16. Please provide your phone number on the back of your artwork so the winner can be notified.
- Students must be currently attending The Schools of Guntersville.
- Designs must be submitted on white 8-½x11 paper. Design can be hand drawn or created digitally. If digital, please turn in the design and have the digital design available if requested.
- No more than 3 colors should be used in the design.
- You must include an apple somewhere in the design and the wording “Apple Race 2018.”
- Name, grade and phone number should be written in pencil on the back side of the design. No student names should appear on the front of the art work.