By Cole Green & Ali Jewel Thornton
On Friday, October 19, the Guntersville High School varsity football team took on Ardmore for their homecoming. For homecoming, students participate in many fun activities in the week leading up to the game.
Carson Brown said he was most excited about the GMS dance on Thursday night.
Date Peterson said he was excited because GMS got out of school half a day to watch the homecoming parade.
Mrs. Price said she was excited to watch the homecoming parade Friday and see all of the cool floats.
- Parent Luncheon and Walk-Through on Oct. 24.
- Fall sports, clubs and retakes for fall school pictures will be taken on Thursday, Nov. 8th. Students will need to bring uniforms to school on this date for your team picture. If you play a fall sport, you can have your individual picture as well as a group team picture taken on this same day. Individual pictures will be ordered on a prepaid basis pnly! Ask your coach for an order form for individual and group team pictures. Club members that have T-shirts may want to wear your t-shirt for your club picture. These are the pictures that will go in the yearbook, so you will not want to miss this photo opportunity.
- Wildcat School Store will be open on Tuesdays and Fridays in the morning and during Advisory! New supplies and inventory are coming in! Don't miss getting your Wildcat Gear!
- The Veterans of Foreign Wars are sponsoring a national Patriotic Writing Competition for 6th-8th grade students called Patriot’s Pen. The theme this year is “Why I Honor the American Flag.” The Grand Prize winner receives a $5,000 Award! The entry deadline is October 31, 2018. For more information, we have pamphlets in the office.
- Yearbooks are still on sale for $32 through December. Starting in January the price will increase by $5 to $37. Order yours today! 2018-19 GMS yearbook http://tiny.cc/wy8pzy
- All absences require a note to be excused. These notes must be received within 3 days of the absence. If the absence is due to sickness requiring a doctor, dental or any other medical appointment, please submit your doctor note. These are unlimited for the year. If your child is absent from school due to sickness without a doctor's note, or anything other than sickness, it requires a home note to be excused. Six home notes are allowed per year. They may be sent in writing or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thomason 6th English - Poetry Projects due, A-10/15; B-10/16. We will focus on sentence writing this week (simple, compound, complex).
- 6th grade Spelling Bee is coming up! Students took home study guides before fall break! A day- 11/6; B day- 11/5.
- Thompson 6th Math - We will continue our Ratio Unit with percents. There will be a Brain Gymnastics Quiz on 10/19 for A day and 10/22 for B Day. Problems will come from previous Brain Gymnastics pages. These can be found in binders or on Google Classroom.
- Bradshaw 6th Grade Reading - Please join REMIND if you haven't. The link is rmd.at/bradshaw6
- Nunnelly 6th Grade History - Progressive Era Test Part 1 - America Changes: 1900 (Inventions, Urbanization, Industrialization, Immigration) October 29 and 30
- Croley - Unit 5 vocabulary classwork due October 17/18.
- 7th grade students must have a reading goal book within lexile measure by October 25/26.
- Unit 5 vocabulary test October 25/26.
- 2nd nine weeks class book: "Written in Bone/"
- Womac - Oct. 22, Womac, Pre-algebra Quiz on Module 1 Lessons #1-5
- Hinkle - Intro to Cells Test 10/17 (A) and 10/18 (B). Cell Cake Party 10/16 (B) and 10/19 (A)
- Price - 10/22 ( B day), AEC chapters 31-56 due. 10/ 23 (A day) - AEC chapters 31-56 due.
- 8th Grade Class Spelling Bee 11/1 and 11/2.
Media Center News
Book Club - Thursday, Oct. 25. Book Club will meet during Advisory. We will be discussing the book, The Outsiders. Please bring the book to turn in. Our time will be short, so let your Advisory teacher know where you are and get up to the Media Center quickly. You may snack while we discuss the book
Project Lead The Way
The Project Lead the Way class fee is $30. This needs to be turned in to Mrs. Stapler as soon as possible.
Cross Country - Oct. 23 - Marshall County Championship Meet, Conners Island, Guntersville
Fishing Team - GMS and GHS fishing team is currently looking for sponsors for the 2018-2019 season. If you or your business is interested in sponsoring and being advertised on our jerseys, please contact coach Haley Thomason at email@example.com
Softball - GMS 7th & 8th Grade Softball tryouts were cancelled for this week. Tryouts will be Monday, October 22, at 5:30 at GHS.
The Guntersville City School nurses would like to make sure all students, parents, and staff are aware of the following important information : Due to the number of students with a significant allergy to nuts, our school system adheres to a Nut Safe Policy. That means that no one is allowed to bring food items containing any types of nuts, nor items packaged in a facility that could cause cross contamination.
Red Ribbon Week
- All week long, post your pictures with the #highonlifegms. We will place them on news show!
- Monday Oct. 29- Black Out Drugs- Students are to wear all black. Video during Advisory.
- Tuesday Oct. 30- Don’t Lose a Minute of your Life to Drugs! Decades Day- Students are to wear 50s-90s attire. Lunchroom Karaoke to Songs of the Decades.
- Wednesday, Oct. 31- Drugs Ruin Your Character. Students are to dress up as your favorite book character. Video During Advisory.
- Thursday, Nov. 1 - Leave it to Achieve it! Career Day- Students are to wear their future career attire. Guest Speaker- Dr. Manganaris.
- Friday, Nov 2- Live the Wildcat Way! Students are to show school spirit in their Wildcat gear! Talent and Dance Showcase.