Aug. 25-Sept. 1
August 26 — Teagan Zamudio
August 27 — Richard Hampton; Princeston Staten
August 28 — Anthony Looney
August 30 — Caitlin Stewart
September 1 — Ashlyn Watkins
Traci’s Recipe Corner
Blueberry Breakfast Cake
By Traci Rhines
You will need:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
Zest from one large lemon
1 cup sugar (set 1 tbsp. aside for garnish)
1 egg, room temp
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour (set 1/4 cup aside for tossing blueberries)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Use a mixer to cream the butter, lemon zest and sugar (minus 1 Tbsp.) until fluffy.
3. Add egg and vanilla. Beat until well blended.
4. Toss blueberries in 1/4 cup flour.
5. Whisk together remaining flour. baking powder and salt.
6. Add half of the flour mixture to batter and stir with rubber spatula to mix.
7. Add all of the buttermilk. Stir.
8. Add remaining flour and stir until well blended.
9. Gently fold in blueberries. Do not include residual flour used for tossing.
10. Spray 8 inch baking pan with nonstick baking spray. Spread batter into pan and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Use toothpick trick to see if cake is cooked thoroughly. If not, return to oven for additional 5-10 minutes or until set. Allow cake to cook for approx. 15 minutes before cutting.
Side note: You may prefer to use frozen blueberries or freeze your fresh berries before cooking with them. If so, rinse berries prior to avoid bleeding into batter.