Did you know?
A new study shows Alabama ranks No. 25 for the most registered sex offenders per capita of any state.
There were 216.83 sex offenders per 100,000 people in Alabama through 2019. The national average is 230.92 per 100,000.
Despite movements like #MeToo, sexual predators remain an issue in American culture.
SafeHome.org released a study on Sex Offenders by State after analyzing data from the U.S. Census Bureau, FBI, Department of Health and Human Services and state level registries from 2019.
Here are key findings in Alabama:
- No. 25 in registered sex offenders per 100,000 people, 216.83.
- No. 22 in number of registered sex offenders, 10,570.
- No. 31 in reported rapes per 100,000 people, 40.8.
- No. 8 in reported rate of child sex abuse victims per 100,000 children, 145.14.
Here are key national findings:
- The 10 states with the highest rates of sex offenders are Oregon, Montana, Alaska, Delaware, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Michigan, Kansas and Arkansas.
- The 10 states with the lowest rates of sex offenders are New Jersey, Massachusetts, Washington, Arizona, Rhode Island, Maryland, Florida, Ohio, New Mexico and Washington, D.C.