During last week's Marshall County Board of Education Meeting, it was approved by all to name the Asbury High School gymnasium.
The gymnasium will now be called, the "Johnny Pelham Gymnasium."
Cindy Wigley, Superintendent of Marshall County Schools, said a group consisting of community members and school staff asked for it to be named after Johnny Pelham, the first coach of the Asbury High program and still the athletic director at the school.
"Not only has he had great success in his coaching career ending his tenure at Asbury High School, but his contributions to the school and community can not be overstated," Wigley said.
Students from DAR FCCLA also brought samples of food they will be making at the Junior Chef Competition at Jefferson State Community College next week.
Liz Clark, teacher and sponsor, was also present during the meeting to explain the competition while students served the board members.
"It had to be approved by our CNP Director and meet guidelines to serve in the lunchroom," said Clark.
The students will compete on February 17.
Alabama's 1st place state winning team will be invited to compete at the Regional Junior Chef Competition at Sullivan University in Kentucky in May.
Scholarships will be awarded to the top 3 teams.
The following was also approved during the meeting:
1. Kirk Finley, Percussion Camp, Douglas High School, $75 each session, 2 sessions, paid from local funds.
1. Tim Brothers, Chief Technology Officer, Marshall County Schools, Consortium for School Networking Conference, Austin, TX, March 20-23, 2023. Expenses paid by Alabama Leaders in Educational Technology.
2. DAR High School Varsity Girls Basketball Team, Emerald Coast Sports Camp, Ft. Walton, FL, June 11-14, 2023, paid through local funds, parents providing transportation.
1. Falisha Allen, Bus Driver, Douglas High School, temporary $20 daily supplement, paid from Federal funds, effective February 2, 2023.
2. Chasity Dickerson, Teacher, Asbury High School, supplement for teaching during planning period, effective February 6, 2023, through the end of SY 22-23.
3. Tashia Phillips, Teacher, Asbury High School, supplement for teaching during planning period, effective February 6, 2023, through the end of SY 22-23.
Leaves of Absence
1. Teresa Helton, CNP Worker, Asbury Campus, requested leave from March 2-April 3, 2023.
2. Connie Holcomb, Bus Aide, DAR Campus, requested leave from February 3-March 10, 2023.
3. Carla Lachelle Collier, Custodian, Brindlee Mountain Primary School, requested leave from January 4-March 6, 2023, with unpaid leave beginning on February 2, 2023.
1. Keisha Pearl, Teacher, Brindlee Mountain High School, to Math Interventionist, Brindlee Mountain High School, paid from federal funds, effective SY 2023-2024.
1. Noah Walker, Teacher, Douglas High School, resignation effective February 3, 2023.
2. Anthony Coffee, Mechanic, Marshall County Transportation, resignation effective January 27,2023.
3. Rhonda Gibbs, Guidance Counselor, DAR High School, retirement/resignation effective July 1,2023.
1. Chris Vaughn, ACT/After-School Tutor, Douglas High School, effective February 4, 2023.
2. Ashley Hunt, After-School Teacher Substitute, DAR Elementary School, retroactive to January 24, 2023.
3. Kayla Owens, After-School Teacher, DAR Elementary School, retroactive to January 19, 2023.
In accordance with the Memorandum of Agreement between the Marshall County Board of Education and the Marshall County Sheriff's Department, Superintendent Wigley and the Marshall County Board of Education approved the following School Resource Officers to work as requested, to be paid an hourly rate for extracurricular and after-school activities.
1. Robert Jason Trotman
1. Lori Duckett, Temporary, Long-Term Substitute, Douglas Elementary School, retroactive to February 1, 2023.
2. Judson Proctor, Teacher, Douglas High School, effective February 21, 2023.
3. Amanda Stone, Bookkeeper, DAR Elementary School, effective February 6, 2023, pending certification.
4. Kyle Davis, Teacher/Head Varsity Football Coach, DAR High School, effective March 1, 2023.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.