The Guntersville Fire Department worked a strange fire on Leonard Street off Jarmon recently.
One homeowner was burning some limbs and things in his yard. He left the fire unattended. It spread to some leaves, then caught a neighboring homeowner’s house on fire.
“The person burning went inside,” Guntersville fire marshal Buddy Pettry said. “The person who lived in the house the fire spread to came outside to go somewhere, saw the flames and smoke and called the Fire Department.”
He said there was a sloped bank there that came kind of high on the house that caught on fire.
“The fire burned into the master bedroom, mainly in the attic,” Pettry said. “Our guys got there very fast and got the fire out. The fire damage was confined to the bedroom but there was smoke and water damage throughout the home.”
The person doing the burning did not have a burn permit and was cited for that, Pettry said. And he noted that burning brush inside the city limits really isn’t needed since the city has a brush truck that makes regular rounds to pick up leaves, sticks and things of that nature.
“We approve very few burn permits in the city these days because we have a brush truck,” he said.
He suspects that there won’t be a civil liability case related to the fire.
“It worked out that each homeowner had the same insurance company, so that should help in that regard,” he said.
There was a brush fire too associated with the out-of-control fire that the firefighters also had to put ut.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.