The Guntersville Senior Center offers these tips for maintaining a healthy digestive system.
The digestive system can be upset easily by things like an unhealthy diet, stress, antibiotics and travel. You may feel bloated and sluggish. One third of the population regularly suffers from digestive illness such as irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, diarrhea, stomach-ache and nausea.
Tips to maintain a healthy digestive system include:
- Exercise at least 30-60 minutes, at least 5 times a week.
- Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water a day.
- Don’t smoke.
- Eat meals at regular times. Skilling meals can cause issues.
- Sleep at regular times.
- Start the day with whole grains an fruit for breakfast.
- Limit the amount of fatty, artificial sweetened and sugary foods you eat.
- Chew well. This helps release digestive enzymes.
- Eat a variety of vegetables, fruits, dairy products, whole grains and lean proteins.